Chicken Breasts With Tomato, Basil & Arugula/Spinach
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: Appx. 20 minutes
• 4 Organic, skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 750g-1kg)
• 5g-10g thinly sliced packed fresh basil leaves
• 2 cups ripe tomatoes (plum, beefsteak, whatever looks fresh and preferably local) diced into 1 inch cubes.
• 2-3 cups baby arugula or spinach (or a combination of both-washed and air or spun dry)
• 2 oz extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• Wash and pat dry chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper.
• Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just shimmering.
• Cook chicken on one side for 8-10 minutes (depending on how thick breasts are) until golden-brown then flip and continue to cook on other side another 8-10 minutes, scraping together any brown bits. (Add a little extra olive oil if needed and cook a few minutes longer if needed at a medium heat–always check to make sure chicken is cooked thoroughly!)
As the chicken is cooking:
• In a medium size bowl, combine tomatoes, basil, garlic, vinegar, 2 tbsp of oil and about 1 tbsp salt and pepper (to taste)
• Let the chicken cool a few minutes then slice into 5cm strips (or you can serve the breasts whole, whatever you fancy!)
• On a large platter make a bed with the arugula or spinach mixture
• Arrange the chicken on top and spoon on the tomato mixture and drizzle the juice over all.